The Family Table: Mexican Casserole Makeover
Remaking Chilaqules Casserole: How we made this family's favorite meal healthier.
Remaking Chilaquiles Casserole: How we made this family's favorite meal healthier.
Our makeover meal boosts fruits and vegetables considerably, sneaking stealth vegetables into the chilaquiles and serving up an easy salad with a master dressing recipe that can be used all week long. And there's always room for a healthy dessert, especially when it's a crumble made from seasonal fruit that bakes during dinner. Best of all, since every meal component has built-in leftover potential, this dinner makes the rest of a busy week easier too.
Goal #1: A heart-healthy meal with plenty of fruits & vegetables
- Adding "stealth" zucchini and tomatoes to the chilaquiles boosts fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Substituting reduced-fat cheese for regular cheese reduces the saturated fat and cholesterol by over two-thirds.
- A healthier dessert provides a serving of fruit plus whole grains.
- Replacing the butter in the crumble with canola oil almost completely eliminates saturated fat and cholesterol.
Goal #2: Planned-for leftovers
- Keep extra salad fixings (see more salad tips) and homemade dressing in the fridge for a week's worth of quick side salads and lunchbox meals.
- Doubling up the casserole size leaves tasty leftovers for lunchboxes or the freezer.
- Big-batch crumble topping is enough for several more quick desserts-including yogurt parfaits and sundaes.