1-Day Healthy-Aging Meal Plan: 1,500 Calories
With plenty of hearty whole grains, lean protein, fruits, vegetables and healthy fats, this 1-day meal plan for healthy aging will do your body good. This delicious day of eating provides healthy amounts of protein, fiber and calcium (the nutrients you need more of as you age) and utilizes fresh ingredients, herbs and spices to pack in flavor while keeping the sodium low (below 1,500 mg). The recipes in this plan meet our Healthy Aging nutrition parameters, meaning they provide at least 20 percent of the daily value for two or more of the nutrients aging people need more of (fiber, protein, vitamin D and calcium). You can feel good about fueling your body with this healthy meal plan for aging.
Breakfast (339 calories)
• 1 cup Cocoa-Chia Pudding with Raspberries
• 1 cup orange juice, fortified with calcium & vitamin D
A.M. Snack (141 calories)
- 1 rye crispbread
- 1/2 tsp. whole-grain mustard
- 1 oz. Cheddar cheese, sliced thin
Spread mustard on crispbread and top with cheese
Lunch (405 calories)
- 3 oz. canned sockeye salmon (canned in water and drained)
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
Spread cream cheese on toast and flake canned salmon on top. Drizzle with lemon juice and season with dried dill to taste, if desired.
• 1 1/4 cup mixed greens dressed with 2 tsp. each olive oil & red-wine vinegar and topped with 1 Tbsp. chopped walnuts.
PM Snack (109 calories)
- 6 walnut halves
- 1 medium plum
Dinner (502 calories)
- 1 servingLemon Sopresatta Chicken
- 1 cup no-salt-added white beans, rinsed and mashed
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Saute spinach and garlic together in 1 tsp. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve spinach over mashed white beans.
Daily Total: 1,497 calories, 81 grams protein, 32 grams fiber, 1,244 mg calcium, 1,528 mg sodium
Please Note: This meal plan is controlled for calories, protein, fiber, sodium and calcium. If you are concerned about any one nutrient in particular, speak with your health care provider about altering this meal plan to best suit your needs.