Jennifer Garner's Family Thanksgiving Recipe Is Easy and Delicious
I don't know about you, but to me Thanksgiving is All. About. The. Sides. Sure, I don't eat meat, but turkey and ham were never really my jam during my (formerly omnivorous) holiday gatherings anyway. And, it turns out, Jennifer Garner just might be #TeamSides too.
Last year, Garner shared her family heirloom Thanksgiving recipe for sweet potato pudding via her #PretendCookingShow on Instagram. Her grandma Exie Mae used to make this rich yet simple dish at Garner's family Turkey Day celebrations, and she was kind enough to share it with us. You'll even find it on Ina Garten's Thanksgiving special! Check out the recipe, below:
Exie Mae Garner's Sweet Potato Pudding
- 4 medium red sweet potatoes
- 3 cups milk
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 3 tbsp oleo or butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 bag of miniature marshmallows
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes.
- Boil until tender and drain, then mash/beat with a beater.
- Add milk, sugar, butter, and spices to suit taste.
- Beat 3 eggs and add them in.
- Tip the pudding into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook at 350 for about an hour, until nearly done.
- Turn the oven to broil. Spread marshmallows on top and put back in for about 2 minutes until browned.
Now Garner will be the first to admit that this recipe is a bit indulgent, but hey, it's Thanksgiving! Turkey Day is all about enjoying delicious food with loved ones—not about dieting or counting calories. However, we do have our own version that is just as creamy and delicious while being a little lighter. We also have a Sweet Potato Pudding Cake that is a glorious dessert to serve alongside your pumpkin or pecan pie this year.
Additionally, we have a whole bunch of amazing sweet potato recipes for Thanksgiving. From our show-stopping Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Orange-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting to our secretly healthy Chocolate-Sweet Potato Parfait, create your own Thanksgiving tradition by serving up one of these dishes the whole family will love for years to come.