How to Make Healthy Pasta Salad Video
EatingWell food editor Jessie Price shows how to make healthy Garden Pasta Salad.
"I'm going to show you how to cut calories and fat in creamy salads like potato salad and pasta salad."
Get the recipe: Garden Pasta Salad
Jessie starts this recipe with whole-wheat pasta. "We use this instead of regular white pasta," she explains, "because it has double the fiber."
Don’t Miss: EatingWell’s Whole-Wheat Pasta Taste Test
The next step is to make a slimmed-down creamy dressing. Jessie skips the regular mayonnaise and instead uses low-fat mayo. She mixes that with a little bit of low-fat plain yogurt, which adds a little tang. Then she adds in olive oil, red wine vinegar, a minced clove of garlic and a little salt and pepper. Toss the dressing together with the cooked and cooled pasta until it's well coated.
Another important technique in making a healthier pasta salad is to bulk it up with lots of veggies. "They add fresh flavor and they keep the calories low," says Jessie. She adds diced red bell pepper, sliced scallions, shredded carrots, halved cherry tomatoes, a little bit of basil and diced Kalamata olives. "Toss that all together and it's done," says Jessie. "It's simple and delicious."
Remember these three secrets for healthier pasta salads:
1. Whole-wheat pasta instead of white pasta
2. A slimmed-down creamy dressing
3. Plenty of veggies to bulk it up while keeping calories low.
With this healthier pasta salad recipe, you save 350 calories and six grams of saturated fat per serving over a traditional pasta salad.
Check out these great recipes and tips for healthier creamy salads and pasta dishes:
4 Tips for Healthier Pasta Salads
Macaroni Salad Makeover
Which is Healthier: Potato Salad or Pasta Salad?
Low-Calorie Pasta Salad Recipes
Lighter Potato Salad Recipes
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)