Lisa Asuncion Feliciano of Manila, Philippines, shared this recipe in our Kitchen to Kitchen department. She recommends making extra loaves when zucchini is abundant because they freeze well.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract, (optional)
- 1 cup grated zucchini, lightly packed (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 mini 6-by-3-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar (or Splenda), applesauce, oil and lemon extract (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; slowly, mix in the zucchini mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in walnuts. Do not overmix. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans.
- Bake the loaves until a toothpick comes out almost clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring cold eggs to room temperature quickly: Place in a mixing bowl and set it in a larger bowl of warm water for a few minutes; the eggs will beat to a greater volume.
Per slice: 118 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 88 mg sodium; 37 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique