Lisa Asuncion Feliciano of Manila, Philippines, shared this recipe in our Kitchen to Kitchen department. She recommends making extra loaves when zucchini is abundant because they freeze well.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract, (optional)
- 1 cup grated zucchini, lightly packed (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 mini 6-by-3-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar (or Splenda), applesauce, oil and lemon extract (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; slowly, mix in the zucchini mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in walnuts. Do not overmix. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans.
- Bake the loaves until a toothpick comes out almost clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To bring cold eggs to room temperature quickly: Place in a mixing bowl and set it in a larger bowl of warm water for a few minutes; the eggs will beat to a greater volume.
Per slice: 118 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 88 mg sodium; 37 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation