Finely diced zucchini and fresh lemon zest are a simple and tasty addition to plain rice.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots, (about 2 large shallots)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups finely diced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in rice, zucchini, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Combine oil and shallots in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole; microwave on High until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, for 7 minutes. 3. Add zucchini and cook until the rice is tender, an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 218 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (49% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)