Finely diced zucchini and fresh lemon zest are a simple and tasty addition to plain rice.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots, (about 2 large shallots)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups finely diced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in rice, zucchini, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Combine oil and shallots in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole; microwave on High until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, for 7 minutes. 3. Add zucchini and cook until the rice is tender, an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 218 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (49% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation