Finely diced zucchini and fresh lemon zest are a simple and tasty addition to plain rice.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots, (about 2 large shallots)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups finely diced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in rice, zucchini, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Combine oil and shallots in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole; microwave on High until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, for 7 minutes. 3. Add zucchini and cook until the rice is tender, an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 218 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (49% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less