Zucchini-Potato Latkes with Tzatziki
Tzatziki, a flavorful Greek yogurt sauce laced with cucumber, is a tangy accompaniment for these high-fiber latkes. Make it a Meal: Enjoy with sliced fresh tomatoes and a few kalamata olives or put patties and tzatziki (yogurt sauce) in pita pockets for lunch on the go.
- 1 pound zucchini,shredded
- 2 cups shredded cooked potato, (see Note)
- 2 medium shallots, minced, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss zucchini, potato, 3 tablespoons shallot and egg in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, feta, 1 tablespoon dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Form the mixture into 12 patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties, cover and cook until crispy and browned on one side, 2 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the latkes to the prepared pan, browned-side down. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and patties.
- Transfer the latkes to the oven and bake until firm and heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki: Combine yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, the remaining minced shallot, 1 tablespoon dill and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the latkes with the tzatziki on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Shredded cooked potatoes can be found in the refrigerated produce section or dairy section of most supermarkets.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor into coarse crumbs. One slice makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 325 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Calcium (30% dv), Magnesium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian