Zucchini Salad with Shaved Parmesan
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Drizzle grilled zucchini with a tangy lemon vinaigrette and it becomes an easy vegetable salad. Want a little heat? Add minced fresh jalapeño.
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds small zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see Tips)
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler, making sure not to include any white pith. (Reserve the lemon.) Cut the peel into thin slivers. Add to the boiling water and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add oil, pepper and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips) or the grill pan. Grill zucchini slices, turning once, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Arrange the zucchini on a platter and drizzle with the reserved lemon dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, cheese and the lemon peel.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate the zucchini, lemon peel and dressing for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tips: To toast sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin curls or slivers off a block of hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 135 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 181 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010