Zucchini Salad with Shaved Parmesan
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Drizzle grilled zucchini with a tangy lemon vinaigrette and it becomes an easy vegetable salad. Want a little heat? Add minced fresh jalapeño.
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds small zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see Tips)
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler, making sure not to include any white pith. (Reserve the lemon.) Cut the peel into thin slivers. Add to the boiling water and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add oil, pepper and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips) or the grill pan. Grill zucchini slices, turning once, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Arrange the zucchini on a platter and drizzle with the reserved lemon dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, cheese and the lemon peel.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate the zucchini, lemon peel and dressing for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tips: To toast sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin curls or slivers off a block of hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 135 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 181 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010