Zucchini Salad with Shaved Parmesan
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Drizzle grilled zucchini with a tangy lemon vinaigrette and it becomes an easy vegetable salad. Want a little heat? Add minced fresh jalapeño.
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds small zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see Tips)
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler, making sure not to include any white pith. (Reserve the lemon.) Cut the peel into thin slivers. Add to the boiling water and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add oil, pepper and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips) or the grill pan. Grill zucchini slices, turning once, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Arrange the zucchini on a platter and drizzle with the reserved lemon dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, cheese and the lemon peel.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate the zucchini, lemon peel and dressing for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Tips: To toast sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin curls or slivers off a block of hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 135 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 181 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010