From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Use up that plentiful summer zucchini in these healthy oatmeal muffins.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups grated zucchini, (about 1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 16 muffin cups with cooking spray or line them with paper liners.
- Spread rolled oats and pecans on separate areas of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Chop the pecans.
- Stir togetherall-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 cup toasted oats and pecans in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Sprinkle remaining oats over tops.
- Bake until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 231 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1993