From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Use up that plentiful summer zucchini in these healthy oatmeal muffins.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups grated zucchini, (about 1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 16 muffin cups with cooking spray or line them with paper liners.
- Spread rolled oats and pecans on separate areas of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Chop the pecans.
- Stir togetherall-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 cup toasted oats and pecans in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Sprinkle remaining oats over tops.
- Bake until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 231 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- July/August 1993