From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Use up that plentiful summer zucchini in these healthy oatmeal muffins.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups grated zucchini, (about 1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 16 muffin cups with cooking spray or line them with paper liners.
- Spread rolled oats and pecans on separate areas of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Chop the pecans.
- Stir togetherall-purpose and whole-wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 cup toasted oats and pecans in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Sprinkle remaining oats over tops.
- Bake until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 231 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1993