Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This recipe for mashed zucchini with chiles and Cheddar embraces zucchini’s tendency to become very soft when cooked.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in chiles and salt; cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 126 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2011