Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This recipe for mashed zucchini with chiles and Cheddar embraces zucchini’s tendency to become very soft when cooked.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in chiles and salt; cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 126 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011