Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This recipe for mashed zucchini with chiles and Cheddar embraces zucchini’s tendency to become very soft when cooked.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in chiles and salt; cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 126 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011