Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This recipe for mashed zucchini with chiles and Cheddar embraces zucchini’s tendency to become very soft when cooked.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in chiles and salt; cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 126 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011