Shaved Zucchini-Fennel Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Long strips of raw zucchini and shaved fennel absorb the lemony vinaigrette, making a delicious base for this salad. Serve right away after tossing with the dressing to keep the zucchini crisp.
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium)
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered and cored, fronds reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 6 tablespoons shredded Manchego or Asiago cheese
- Very thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into long strips with a vegetable peeler, mandoline or knife. Place the strips on a double layer of paper towel and let stand while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Very thinly slice fennel bulb with a knife or mandoline. Chop enough fronds to equal about 1/4 cup. Whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, fennel, fronds and onion; gently stir to coat well. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 85 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011