Shaved Zucchini-Fennel Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Long strips of raw zucchini and shaved fennel absorb the lemony vinaigrette, making a delicious base for this salad. Serve right away after tossing with the dressing to keep the zucchini crisp.
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium)
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered and cored, fronds reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 6 tablespoons shredded Manchego or Asiago cheese
- Very thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into long strips with a vegetable peeler, mandoline or knife. Place the strips on a double layer of paper towel and let stand while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Very thinly slice fennel bulb with a knife or mandoline. Chop enough fronds to equal about 1/4 cup. Whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, fennel, fronds and onion; gently stir to coat well. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 85 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011