Shaved Zucchini-Fennel Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Long strips of raw zucchini and shaved fennel absorb the lemony vinaigrette, making a delicious base for this salad. Serve right away after tossing with the dressing to keep the zucchini crisp.
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium)
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered and cored, fronds reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 6 tablespoons shredded Manchego or Asiago cheese
- Very thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into long strips with a vegetable peeler, mandoline or knife. Place the strips on a double layer of paper towel and let stand while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Very thinly slice fennel bulb with a knife or mandoline. Chop enough fronds to equal about 1/4 cup. Whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, fennel, fronds and onion; gently stir to coat well. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 85 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2011