EatingWell Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Here’s a super-simple zucchini bread recipe. The addition of chocolate chips makes it more like a dessert than a breakfast, but you can enjoy it anytime. Skip the chocolate and try it with toasted walnuts or raisins if you prefer. Freeze 2-cup portions of shredded zucchini so you can make zucchini bread all year long.
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: 9-by-5-inch loaf pan
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Per slice: 229 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 16 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011