EatingWell Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Here’s a super-simple zucchini bread recipe. The addition of chocolate chips makes it more like a dessert than a breakfast, but you can enjoy it anytime. Skip the chocolate and try it with toasted walnuts or raisins if you prefer. Freeze 2-cup portions of shredded zucchini so you can make zucchini bread all year long.
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: 9-by-5-inch loaf pan
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Per slice: 229 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 16 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- July/August 2011