EatingWell Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Here’s a super-simple zucchini bread recipe. The addition of chocolate chips makes it more like a dessert than a breakfast, but you can enjoy it anytime. Skip the chocolate and try it with toasted walnuts or raisins if you prefer. Freeze 2-cup portions of shredded zucchini so you can make zucchini bread all year long.
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: 9-by-5-inch loaf pan
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Per slice: 229 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 16 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011