EatingWell Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Here’s a super-simple zucchini bread recipe. The addition of chocolate chips makes it more like a dessert than a breakfast, but you can enjoy it anytime. Skip the chocolate and try it with toasted walnuts or raisins if you prefer. Freeze 2-cup portions of shredded zucchini so you can make zucchini bread all year long.
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: 9-by-5-inch loaf pan
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Per slice: 229 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 16 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011