Not too sweet, and very fragrant, this is good bread to bake if you're trying to sell your house.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, (about 2 small zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans cooking spray. Spread oats and pecans on separate parts of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes; let cool. Chop the pecans.
- Stir together all but 2 tablespoons of the toasted oats, the pecans, white and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in another bowl; stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until well combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans, smoothing the tops. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the reserved oats on top of each loaf. Bake until the tops feel firm when lightly pressed and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 208 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 66 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Labor Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique