Not too sweet, and very fragrant, this is good bread to bake if you're trying to sell your house.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, (about 2 small zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans cooking spray. Spread oats and pecans on separate parts of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes; let cool. Chop the pecans.
- Stir together all but 2 tablespoons of the toasted oats, the pecans, white and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in another bowl; stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until well combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans, smoothing the tops. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the reserved oats on top of each loaf. Bake until the tops feel firm when lightly pressed and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 208 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 66 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Labor Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique