Not too sweet, and very fragrant, this is good bread to bake if you're trying to sell your house.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, (about 2 small zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans cooking spray. Spread oats and pecans on separate parts of a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes; let cool. Chop the pecans.
- Stir together all but 2 tablespoons of the toasted oats, the pecans, white and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, eggs, egg whites, apple butter and oil in another bowl; stir in zucchini. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until well combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans, smoothing the tops. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the reserved oats on top of each loaf. Bake until the tops feel firm when lightly pressed and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 208 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 66 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Labor Day