I don't follow directions very well - I put the filling in raw zucchini and wrapped them in foil and put on the grill over medium heat for 30 minutes. The zucchini were crisp (like I like them) and the filling was nicely heated. They really tasted great. I also used feta instead of mozzarella.
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Zucchini stuffed with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil make a fresh summer side dish. For the nicest presentation, use long, relatively skinny zucchini.
6 Reviews for Zu-Canoes
I also used fresh green beans & summer squash out of my garden as well. Cut them into small chunks and steamed them for about a minute, then added them to the other ingredients. Didn't have the right kind of cheese so I used the bagged kind you find in the grocery store (4 blended) and added a handful of mini pepperoni. This dish was amazing. My husband loved it too.
I thought this was great! I didn't have mozzarella to dice, but had some shredded mozzarella. Also used more fresh basil than recipe called for and added a couple pinches of cayenne pepper. Will be making these again!
The taste was amazing because my Son, the gourmet chef, reminded me of the days of working in the kitchen with a salamandor. At home, the next best thing is the broiler. So instead of serving this with cold innards, I stuck them under the broiler for 4 minutes to firm up the
canoe and melt the cheese...YUM and 5 Stars!
This recipe is a great concept, but I think it needs more zing. The cheese was bland, the veggies are bland. . .I think you get the picture. That said, I think a Greek version of this would be FABULOUS using feta cheese, tomatoes, a bit of red onion, and kalamata olives with a Greek vinaigrette. I am going to try that next week!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)