Yucatan Lemon Soup
Although it's traditionally made with limes (and you could certainly make it that way), Meyer lemons add a gentler, subtle twist to this classic Mexican soup with shrimp, garlic and lots of fresh cilantro. Meyer lemons are usually available only during the winter months; they are rounder and smoother than common lemons. Serve as a light entree with a big salad or as a special starter.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and quartered
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Bring broth, onion, jalapeños, garlic, zest, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves to a simmer in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the broth (discard solids).
- Return the broth to the pan and bring to a low simmer. Add shrimp, lemon juice, salt and hot sauce (if using). Cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the spiced broth (Step 1) in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost and return the broth to a simmer before continuing with Step 2.
- Substitution Tip: Meyer lemon juice concentrate can be purchased online from perfectpuree.com. Although nothing can replicate the distinct sweet, tart, floral taste of a Meyer lemon, you can use 2 tablespoons regular lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon orange juice to replace the 3 tablespoons juice in this recipe, and regular lemons for the zest.
Per serving: 99 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1488 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo