Yellow Pepper Relish
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
A colorful relish for burgers, this is also great stirred into nonfat yogurt for a vegetable dip or combined with light mayonnaise for a zippy salad dressing.
- 3 cups water
- 3 yellow bell peppers, seeded
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons frozen pineapple juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 serrano chile, or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- Put water on to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Meanwhile, shred peppers and onions with the large-hole side of a box grater into a large bowl. Finely chop any remaining pieces of onion or pepper and add them to the bowl. Cover with the boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain in a large colander for 5 minutes (don't squeeze out any moisture).
- Place the shredded vegetables, sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice concentrate, salt and chile (or jalapeno), if using, in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer until thickened and tender, 25 to 30 minutes. If the mixture gets too dry before the peppers are tender, add water, 2 tablespoons at a time. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 17 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Exchanges: Free food
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- June/July 2005