Swedish Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This yellow split pea soup has fresh ginger to give it a bright flavor. Use the best ham you can find to get the most flavor.
- 3 cups yellow split peas (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 8 ounces ham, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place split peas in a medium bowl. Wash with cold water until the water runs clear; drain and spread in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, ham, ginger and marjoram to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep carrots, celery, ginger and dice ham; refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 329 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 20 g fiber; 691 mg sodium; 1065 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (56% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- January/February 2012