Swedish Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This yellow split pea soup has fresh ginger to give it a bright flavor. Use the best ham you can find to get the most flavor.
- 3 cups yellow split peas (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 8 ounces ham, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place split peas in a medium bowl. Wash with cold water until the water runs clear; drain and spread in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, ham, ginger and marjoram to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep carrots, celery, ginger and dice ham; refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 329 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 20 g fiber; 691 mg sodium; 1065 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (56% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012