Swedish Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This yellow split pea soup has fresh ginger to give it a bright flavor. Use the best ham you can find to get the most flavor.
- 3 cups yellow split peas (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 8 ounces ham, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place split peas in a medium bowl. Wash with cold water until the water runs clear; drain and spread in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, ham, ginger and marjoram to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep carrots, celery, ginger and dice ham; refrigerate in separate containers. Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Per serving: 329 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 20 g fiber; 691 mg sodium; 1065 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (56% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: Cover and cook for 5 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with pepper.
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 2012