Yellow Natural Egg Dye & Egg Coloring
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Try this easy egg dye recipe to make a natural dye for coloring Easter eggs. Egg coloring made from turmeric dyes white eggs a beautifully vibrant yellow. For best results, be sure to soak your eggs in the dye for at least 4 hours, but not longer than 24 hours.
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3-4 white eggs, hard-boiled (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Place turmeric in a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over the turmeric and let steep for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours to extract the color.
- Stir vinegar into the dyeing liquid; add the eggs. Refrigerate the eggs in the dye for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day. Longer soaking will give a more vivid color, but limit soak time to 24 hours.
- Remove the eggs from the dye with a slotted spoon. Rinse of any excess spice residue, then let dry on a wire rack. If you plan to eat the eggs, refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate hard-boiled eggs for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To hard-boil, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with 1 inch of water. Bring just to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, immediately pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand in the water until cool.
Per egg: 72 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 186 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)