From EatingWell: July/August 2013
The yellow vegetables of summer—fresh corn, yellow tomatoes and yellow peppers—make this slightly sweet gazpacho soup recipe a beautiful and delicious alternative to red gazpacho.
- 2 cups corn kernels (from about 3 large ears), divided
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced, divided
- 4 large yellow tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cored and quartered
- 1 slice country white bread, crust removed if desired, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- Reserve 1/2 cup each corn kernels and bell pepper; cover and refrigerate. Working in two batches, puree the remaining corn and bell pepper, tomatoes, bread, onion, vinegar, oil and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Serve garnished with the reserved corn and bell pepper and chives.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 2 just before serving.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 464 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (92% daily value), Folate (21% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013