Winter Squash & Chicken Tzimmes
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Fresh orange juice and cinnamon infuse this winter squash and chicken stew. Tzimmes (pronounced "tsim-iss") can also be made with brisket and is often served during the Jewish New Year. A fairly sweet dish, it's said to offer wishes for a sweet year ahead.
- 9 cups cubed peeled butternut, buttercup or hubbard squash, (1-inch cubes; see Tip)
- 1 cup small pitted prunes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried, oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs, (about 3 1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place squash, prunes, garlic, shallots, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and place on top of the vegetables. Mix broth, orange zest and juice in a small bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, basting often, about 1 hour more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For quicker prep, look for cubed butternut squash in your market's produce section.
Per serving: 398 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 7 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 1330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (580% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Potassium (38% dv), Magnesium (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007