Winter Squash & Chicken Tzimmes
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Fresh orange juice and cinnamon infuse this winter squash and chicken stew. Tzimmes (pronounced "tsim-iss") can also be made with brisket and is often served during the Jewish New Year. A fairly sweet dish, it's said to offer wishes for a sweet year ahead.
- 9 cups cubed peeled butternut, buttercup or hubbard squash, (1-inch cubes; see Tip)
- 1 cup small pitted prunes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried, oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs, (about 3 1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place squash, prunes, garlic, shallots, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and place on top of the vegetables. Mix broth, orange zest and juice in a small bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, basting often, about 1 hour more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For quicker prep, look for cubed butternut squash in your market's produce section.
Per serving: 398 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 7 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 1330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (580% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Potassium (38% dv), Magnesium (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007