Winter Squash & Chicken Tzimmes
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Fresh orange juice and cinnamon infuse this winter squash and chicken stew. Tzimmes (pronounced "tsim-iss") can also be made with brisket and is often served during the Jewish New Year. A fairly sweet dish, it's said to offer wishes for a sweet year ahead.
- 9 cups cubed peeled butternut, buttercup or hubbard squash, (1-inch cubes; see Tip)
- 1 cup small pitted prunes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried, oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs, (about 3 1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place squash, prunes, garlic, shallots, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and place on top of the vegetables. Mix broth, orange zest and juice in a small bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, basting often, about 1 hour more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For quicker prep, look for cubed butternut squash in your market's produce section.
Per serving: 398 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 7 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 1330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (580% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Potassium (38% dv), Magnesium (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)