Winter Salad with Toasted Walnuts
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This simple first-course salad works best with a balanced mix of lettuces that includes a mild variety, such as Boston, as well as a more intense and sturdy green, such as escarole. You can add thinly sliced pear, apple or persimmon or replace the fennel with fruit.
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, such as frisée, watercress, Boston, escarole and/or curly endive, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Belgian endive, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 2-inch slivers
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (2 cups)
- To prepare Walnut Vinaigrette: Combine shallot, vinegar, mustard and salt in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in oil.
- To prepare salad: Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, toast in a toaster oven at 350ºF for about 6 minutes.) Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Just before serving, combine salad greens, endive, fennel and mushrooms. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- The oil and nuts in this salad provide a heart-healthy balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fats, a generous amount of antioxidants and a good supply of protein and fiber.
Per serving: 211 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Winter 2004