Winter Salad with Toasted Walnuts
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This simple first-course salad works best with a balanced mix of lettuces that includes a mild variety, such as Boston, as well as a more intense and sturdy green, such as escarole. You can add thinly sliced pear, apple or persimmon or replace the fennel with fruit.
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, such as frisée, watercress, Boston, escarole and/or curly endive, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Belgian endive, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 2-inch slivers
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (2 cups)
- To prepare Walnut Vinaigrette: Combine shallot, vinegar, mustard and salt in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in oil.
- To prepare salad: Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, toast in a toaster oven at 350ºF for about 6 minutes.) Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Just before serving, combine salad greens, endive, fennel and mushrooms. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- The oil and nuts in this salad provide a heart-healthy balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fats, a generous amount of antioxidants and a good supply of protein and fiber.
Per serving: 211 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Winter 2004