Winter Salad with Toasted Walnuts
From EatingWell: Winter 2004
This simple first-course salad works best with a balanced mix of lettuces that includes a mild variety, such as Boston, as well as a more intense and sturdy green, such as escarole. You can add thinly sliced pear, apple or persimmon or replace the fennel with fruit.
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, such as frisée, watercress, Boston, escarole and/or curly endive, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Belgian endive, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 2-inch slivers
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (2 cups)
- To prepare Walnut Vinaigrette: Combine shallot, vinegar, mustard and salt in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in oil.
- To prepare salad: Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, toast in a toaster oven at 350ºF for about 6 minutes.) Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Just before serving, combine salad greens, endive, fennel and mushrooms. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- The oil and nuts in this salad provide a heart-healthy balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fats, a generous amount of antioxidants and a good supply of protein and fiber.
Per serving: 211 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (26% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Winter 2004