Wilted Spinach Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This wilted spinach salad doesn't follow the bacon-and-egg tradition but it's big on flavor with rich sherry vinegar, a touch of smoky paprika and briny olives.
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked or hot paprika, (optional)
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives, such as Kalamata
- Place spinach in a large bowl.
- Place shallot, vinegar and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid is nearly evaporated. Add almonds and paprika (if using) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in broth and olives and bring to a simmer. Immediately pour the dressing over the spinach and toss until slightly wilted.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Baby spinach is immature or young spinach—it's harvested earlier than large-leaved mature spinach. We like the sturdy texture of mature spinach in cooked dishes and serve tender, mild-flavored baby spinach raw or lightly wilted. Baby and mature spinach can be used interchangeably in these recipes (yields may vary slightly); be sure to remove the tough stems from mature spinach before using.
- Weights & Measures
- 10 ounces trimmed mature spinach=about 10 cups raw
- 10 ounces baby spinach=about 8 cups raw
Per serving: 78 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 340 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008