Wilted Spinach Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
This wilted spinach salad doesn't follow the bacon-and-egg tradition but it's big on flavor with rich sherry vinegar, a touch of smoky paprika and briny olives.
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked or hot paprika, (optional)
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives, such as Kalamata
- Place spinach in a large bowl.
- Place shallot, vinegar and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid is nearly evaporated. Add almonds and paprika (if using) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in broth and olives and bring to a simmer. Immediately pour the dressing over the spinach and toss until slightly wilted.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Baby spinach is immature or young spinach—it's harvested earlier than large-leaved mature spinach. We like the sturdy texture of mature spinach in cooked dishes and serve tender, mild-flavored baby spinach raw or lightly wilted. Baby and mature spinach can be used interchangeably in these recipes (yields may vary slightly); be sure to remove the tough stems from mature spinach before using.
- Weights & Measures
- 10 ounces trimmed mature spinach=about 10 cups raw
- 10 ounces baby spinach=about 8 cups raw
Per serving: 78 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 340 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Folate (27% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008