Wilted Green Bean Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
“Killed,” or wilted, lettuce is a traditional Southern salad in which tender greens are tossed in a dressing of hot bacon grease and tart vinegar, salt and pepper, garnished with crisp pieces of bacon and raw spring green onion. Here we do something deliciously similar with lightly steamed tender new green beans to create this irresistibly delicious healthy green bean salad recipe.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricots verts, trimmed
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Bring about 3 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add green beans and return to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a vigorous simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a bowl. Add scallions and toss. Pour on vinegar and toss to coat. Pour the reserved bacon fat over the beans, add the bacon and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 76 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2013