Wilted Green Bean Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
“Killed,” or wilted, lettuce is a traditional Southern salad in which tender greens are tossed in a dressing of hot bacon grease and tart vinegar, salt and pepper, garnished with crisp pieces of bacon and raw spring green onion. Here we do something deliciously similar with lightly steamed tender new green beans to create this irresistibly delicious healthy green bean salad recipe.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricots verts, trimmed
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Bring about 3 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add green beans and return to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a vigorous simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a bowl. Add scallions and toss. Pour on vinegar and toss to coat. Pour the reserved bacon fat over the beans, add the bacon and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 76 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013