Wilted Green Bean Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
“Killed,” or wilted, lettuce is a traditional Southern salad in which tender greens are tossed in a dressing of hot bacon grease and tart vinegar, salt and pepper, garnished with crisp pieces of bacon and raw spring green onion. Here we do something deliciously similar with lightly steamed tender new green beans to create this irresistibly delicious healthy green bean salad recipe.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricots verts, trimmed
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- Bring about 3 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add green beans and return to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a vigorous simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a bowl. Add scallions and toss. Pour on vinegar and toss to coat. Pour the reserved bacon fat over the beans, add the bacon and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 76 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 2013