Wild West Steak
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This quick dinner couples perfectly seared steaks with mustard-laced sautéed onions and peppers. When grilling bison, do not cook it beyond medium doneness or it will be dry. If you cannot get tenderloin for this dish, try New York strip or rib-eye steak. Make it a meal: Roasted Corn with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette makes a nice side dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 4-ounce bison or beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- Preheat grill.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes more. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.)
- Whisk mustard with water in a small bowl. Add to the onion mixture and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Brush steaks lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season to taste with salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the onion-pepper mixture.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (97% dv), Iron (19% dv), Selenium (50% dv), Zinc (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)