Wild West Steak
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This quick dinner couples perfectly seared steaks with mustard-laced sautéed onions and peppers. When grilling bison, do not cook it beyond medium doneness or it will be dry. If you cannot get tenderloin for this dish, try New York strip or rib-eye steak. Make it a meal: Roasted Corn with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette makes a nice side dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 4-ounce bison or beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- Preheat grill.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes more. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.)
- Whisk mustard with water in a small bowl. Add to the onion mixture and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Brush steaks lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season to taste with salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the onion-pepper mixture.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (97% dv), Iron (19% dv), Selenium (50% dv), Zinc (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1994