Wild West Steak
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This quick dinner couples perfectly seared steaks with mustard-laced sautéed onions and peppers. When grilling bison, do not cook it beyond medium doneness or it will be dry. If you cannot get tenderloin for this dish, try New York strip or rib-eye steak. Make it a meal: Roasted Corn with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette makes a nice side dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 4-ounce bison or beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- Preheat grill.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes more. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.)
- Whisk mustard with water in a small bowl. Add to the onion mixture and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Brush steaks lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season to taste with salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the onion-pepper mixture.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (97% dv), Iron (19% dv), Selenium (50% dv), Zinc (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1994