Wild West Steak
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This quick dinner couples perfectly seared steaks with mustard-laced sautéed onions and peppers. When grilling bison, do not cook it beyond medium doneness or it will be dry. If you cannot get tenderloin for this dish, try New York strip or rib-eye steak. Make it a meal: Roasted Corn with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette makes a nice side dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 4-ounce bison or beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- Preheat grill.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes more. (If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.)
- Whisk mustard with water in a small bowl. Add to the onion mixture and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Brush steaks lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season to taste with salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the onion-pepper mixture.
Per serving: 207 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 451 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (97% dv), Iron (19% dv), Selenium (50% dv), Zinc (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1994