Wild Rice with Shiitakes & Toasted Almonds
Toasted almonds enhance the nutty flavor of wild rice in this simple yet luxurious side dish. You could give it an Asian twist by substituting sesame oil for the butter and adding a drizzle of soy sauce.
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps, or button mushrooms (3 ounces)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in mushrooms and wild rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer until the rice has "blossomed" and is just tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and transfer the rice to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is done, melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, until softened and still bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the scallions, almonds and pepper into the rice. Serve warm.
Per serving: 158 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 340 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain