Wild Rice with Shiitakes & Toasted Almonds
Toasted almonds enhance the nutty flavor of wild rice in this simple yet luxurious side dish. You could give it an Asian twist by substituting sesame oil for the butter and adding a drizzle of soy sauce.
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps, or button mushrooms (3 ounces)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in mushrooms and wild rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer until the rice has "blossomed" and is just tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and transfer the rice to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is done, melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, until softened and still bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the scallions, almonds and pepper into the rice. Serve warm.
Per serving: 158 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 340 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique