Wild Rice with Dried Apricots & Pistachios
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Colorful apricots, scallions and pistachios make this vibrant dish worthy of any holiday table. Since wild rice (really a grass) does not absorb liquid to the extent that true rice and other grains do, cook it in boiling water and saute the vegetables separately so they stay tender-crisp.
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a lively simmer until the grains are tender and starting to split, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve.
- Shortly before the wild rice is ready, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add apricots, orange juice, salt and pepper; simmer until the apricots have plumped and the liquid has reduced slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the wild rice. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens. Serve topped with chopped pistachios.
Per serving: 224 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006