Wild Rice Pilaf with Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Wild rice is intensely aromatic so it’s a great match for the bold flavors of saffron and Madeira in this wild rice pilaf recipe. Roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts studded on top give it a festive look and help make it filling enough for a vegetarian main dish.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 cup Madeira, preferably medium dry, or sherry
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice (about 10 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron
- 2 cups halved Brussels sprouts
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Whisk Madeira (or sherry) and tomato paste in a small bowl; add to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the liquid turns syrupy and is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add wild rice, tomatoes, broth, water, saffron and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the rice is tender and most of the grains are “popped,” 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potato with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender and browned in spots, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- When the rice is done, arrange the roasted vegetables decoratively on top of it. Transfer the skillet to the oven to heat through before serving, 5 to 10 minutes.
Per main-dish serving: 334 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 609 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (107% daily value), Vitamin A (97% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Folate & Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- November/December 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)