From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
An excellent cornbread to serve with chili.
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk and oil in a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cornbread until the top springs back when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)