From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
An excellent cornbread to serve with chili.
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk and oil in a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cornbread until the top springs back when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)