From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
An excellent cornbread to serve with chili.
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk and oil in a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cornbread until the top springs back when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)