Whole-Wheat Irish Soda Bread Rolls
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This easy whole-wheat Irish soda bread roll recipe gets its rise from baking soda instead of yeast, so you can enjoy warm bread with just a few minutes of prep and 25 minutes in the oven.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, 1/2 cup milk, honey and thyme in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together.
- Dust a clean work surface with whole-wheat flour. Turn the dough out and gently knead with barely damp hands just a few times until smooth. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and shape each into a 2- to 2 1/2-inch round about 1 inch thick. Place on the prepared baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon milk and sprinkle with oats, pressing on them lightly to adhere.
- Bake the rolls until golden brown on the bottom and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight for up to 1 day; reheat in a warm oven.
- No buttermilk? You can make “sour milk” as a substitute: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup nonfat milk; let stand for about 10 minutes before using.
Per serving: 191 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 331 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014