Whole-Wheat Irish Soda Bread Rolls
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This easy whole-wheat Irish soda bread roll recipe gets its rise from baking soda instead of yeast, so you can enjoy warm bread with just a few minutes of prep and 25 minutes in the oven.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, 1/2 cup milk, honey and thyme in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together.
- Dust a clean work surface with whole-wheat flour. Turn the dough out and gently knead with barely damp hands just a few times until smooth. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and shape each into a 2- to 2 1/2-inch round about 1 inch thick. Place on the prepared baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon milk and sprinkle with oats, pressing on them lightly to adhere.
- Bake the rolls until golden brown on the bottom and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight for up to 1 day; reheat in a warm oven.
- No buttermilk? You can make “sour milk” as a substitute: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup nonfat milk; let stand for about 10 minutes before using.
Per serving: 191 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 331 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014