From EatingWell: Spring 2004
This basic crepe recipe is a tasty wrap for sweet and savory fillings.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour, (see Variations, below)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar, (for dessert crepes; optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted, or canola oil
- 1/2 cup seltzer water, or club soda
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar (if using), salt, eggs, milk and butter (or oil) in a food processor or blender; process until smooth, scraping the sides once or twice. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Slowly whisk seltzer water (or club soda) into the crepe batter. Lightly oil a small nonstick skillet with a crumpled paper towel; heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Ladle about 2 tablespoons batter into the skillet with a small ladle or measuring cup; immediately tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom.
- Cook the crepe until the underside is lightly browned, about 30 seconds. Using a small metal spatula or a fork, lift the edge of the crepe, quickly grasp it with your fingers and flip. Cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 20 seconds longer. Slide the crepe onto a plate.
- If serving immediately, fill and roll or fold the crepe. Continue to cook crepes with the remaining batter, oiling the pan as needed and stacking crepes as you go.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate crepes between sheets of wax paper for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Buckwheat flour is available at natural-foods stores or by mail-order from Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, www.bobsredmill.com.
Per crepe: 49 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/3 starch, 1/3 lean protein
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Spring 2004