Whole-Wheat Couscous with Parmesan & Peas
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Couscous, which is actually a type of tiny pasta, makes an almost-instant side dish. Happily, the whole-wheat variety is just as fast to prepare as regular couscous. Lemon zest is a delicious accent to nutty Parmesan in this Italian-inspired couscous.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water and oil in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let plump for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas on the stovetop or in the microwave according to package directions.
- Add the peas, dill, lemon zest, salt and pepper to the couscous; mix gently and fluff with a fork. Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
Per serving: 208 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006